About Us

Sunday, January 3, 2010

NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION

Today's Thought: 
A Child born on the Sabbath is Fair and Wise/Good and Gay.


I have been thinking about my New Year's resolution no. 3:  Lose 10 pounds.  It think it is back to our "cards", a system inspired by Richard Simmons system and a diet given to us by a hospital dietician.  It and a modified "South Beach"* regimen has worked for me in the past. Why mess with what works? 


I use the following "1200 calorie a day" portions for my size:

1 Vegetable e.g. 1/2 cup mature green beans or green peas

3 Fruits: 1 mdm apple, banana or 1/2 sm grapefruit

7 oz. Meat: chicken w/o skin, Fish, 1 1/2 TBS peanut butter   (counts as a fat, too)

5 Fats: 1 tsp mayo, 1 tsp margarine, 2 tsp salad dressing

5 Breads: 3/4 cup dry cereal, 1/2 cup spaghetti, 1 sm baked potato, 1 slice bread, any kind

2 Milks: 1 cup milk or plain yogurt made w/skim milk
Vegetables: all you want-cabbage, tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach


*modified means I add some carbohydrates to what is mainly a high protein diet.


I believe that all food groups are needed to make your body work. Also, remember "Everything in Moderation".  To jump start you might check out the "South Beach" diet.  It is all protein for a limited time, but I add some carbs.  I go crazy without them.    Also, please note: "no sugar" or "alcohol".  We refer to this regimen as changing our eating habits.  The word "diet" seems negative to us.


"You can push away from the table" and "keep your mouth shut" all you want, but without some exercise program the inches won't melt away without leaving a bunch of unsightly skin.  We go to A fitness center three times a week to use weights, walk on the treadmill, participate in pilates and yoga classes and swim.


Success Story:  I lost 25 pounds and many inches over a two-year period.  That was five years ago.  However, I still have 10 more pounds and some inches to go.  Thanksgiving and Christmas each year do not help.  This year meant 3 extra pounds.  I weigh-in and measure on the first day of each month and keep a record of my progress.  I need positive reinforcement to keep going.


Well, I was wordy today.  I woke up at 5am thinking about what I wanted to talk about today.  So now it is time to quit.  Actually, I promised myself after I retired that I would quit at 4pm each day.  I am on overtime now.


Pleasant Dreams, Esmee

No comments:

Post a Comment