About Us

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

XANADU

A peek at the past....
I had never seen "Xanadu" with Olivia Newton John.*  It was time.  I spotted it on the DVD shelf at my library and figured it was a "sign".  It went home with me.  My husband usually watches DVDs with me.  He is a "movie" person, but declined on this one.  He had seen it twice and didn't think he could ever again...although he had recommended it to me.  All he remembered:"it was about skating"

It was a typical '80's musical/romance movie. grew up on 40's and 50's musical/romance movies. It was right up my alley....a "happily ever after fan" and proud of it!

7 Foot Tall Carved Stone Post
remains from Xanadu

As coincidences go..The Week Magazine reported this week on the the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, opened an exhibit, "The World of Khubilai Khan".  In the exhibit is a carved stone post, nearly 7 feet tall, that is almost all that remains of Xanadu, Khubilai Khan's legendary private retreat.



"In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-dome decree:
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea."  
First verse...Coleridge Poem  



*Michael Beck co-starred...Whatever happened to Him??? Click link to article in USA TODAY

No comments:

Post a Comment