About Us

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

New Author New Series for me

Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor (Jane Austen Mysteries, #1)Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor by Stephanie Barron


My rating: 4 of 5 stars




I really liked this book-it "Being the First Jane Austen Mystery". It was really refreshing after reading the books about the Georgian and Regency Periods using a more modern language style. It was kind of like reading Georgette Heyer. I always like to read her books in between some of my reads. It seems to pull me back down to the "real" world. This is exactly what Ms. Barron's book did. She writes as Jane Austen would and in a journal style. It was like Jane herself was telling the story. The characters seemed real to me; although Isobel, the heroine of the story, was a little bit insipid. She certainly was not too loyal to the man with whom she was supposedly in love. Jane was more loyal to both of them. 



I really like her character.


It is obvious that Ms. Barron has done a lot of research and the Editor's Foreword goes into some detail about the research. Be sure and read it...sometimes I have been know to skip it and go right to the story.


I do plan to read more of the series.




View all my reviews >>

1 comment: