About Us

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Miss Read Books

The Caxley Chronicles: The Caxley Chronicles: 
"The Market Square", 
"The Howards of Caxley"
by Miss Read
My rating: 3 of 5 stars




I like the series! For those readers who like to read a series in order this is the book to read first! 


I wish I had figured it out before I read The Howards of Caxley  (see my Review on Goodreads) or started the Fairacres series.   I read Market Square and then I had to skim through "The Howards..." to refresh my memory.  Everything fell into place once I had the history. 


Village School by Miss Read
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
The Fairacre Series is related to the Caxley books only because it is a few miles from Caxley.  The residents of Fairacre visit there to shop and go to the movies. They also have friends and family in Caxley.


My review of Village School
The first thought that comes to mind...this was a very sweet book full of sweet stories about a small English school and the village it served. The book was written in 1955 and I was in elementary school in the States. The Fifties was a great time to be a child. I enjoyed the book and intend to read all books in the series from time to time.

Miss Read has a special talent for presenting a lot of detail in a way that keeps you moving through the book. You are not bored and start skipping over parts to get to the meat of the story. You will laugh and cry right along with her characters. I recommend her books!

No comments:

Post a Comment