Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Miss Read: Village Diary

Village Diary (Chronicles of Fairacre #2)
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I am really liking this series. This is the second book in the series. It is Miss Read's Diary about village life in Fairacre and her place in it.  I felt like I was reading a Blog placed in a book written in 1957. It is divided in chapters: one for each month of the year. I can imagine writing such a journal myself. (Come to think of it, I did in 2000.) 


Miss Read has many interesting expressions that are new to me.  They offer a new insight on old subjects...because, for one, this is set in a small English village and two, it takes place over 50 years ago.  I can relate to the era, but not the second, I live in a medium-size city in the south central United States. 


I particularly loved these two offerings: 
"....is a source of joy to the 'child who is the father to the man'."   and 
"I was very glad to climb into the sanctuary of my bed, and 'shelve life for nine hours'." 
I really have to wrap my mind around the first and can really understand the second! I only dream of lasting a full nine hours.


You can get the first three books of the series
in this one book:  
















1 comment:

  1. Its great to see that people are sharing quite profitable information with each other and now we can move our selves to a new era.

    ReplyDelete