About Us

Saturday, March 31, 2018

50 States in 50 Years Nos. 12-9

No. 12 Minnesota with a side trip to Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
No. 11 North Dakota
No. 10 Iowa
No.  9 Nebraska

I added these state to my list on a trip to Minnesota in 1970. I could find very few pictures from 1970 and this trip. 

We started in Arkansas, went through Kansas and made a stop in Omaha for a few days. One day we spent at the Mormon Trail Center at Historic Winter Quarters. To be honest I do not remember how they looked in 1970. All I remember is going into a building and signing a guest book. Then, we ventured over to Lincoln one day and took pictures at the Capitol Building. I took them from the top of the building. That was before my fear of heights had kicked in big time. I wouldn't be able to do that now. Note: Nebraska is very windy.




On the road again with one stop in Sioux City, Iowa, to fix a flat tire and on to Detroit Lakes, Minnesota. There were several sides trips from this base. One trip was to Itasca State Park in Bimidji where I waded across the Mississippi River.  It is at the headwaters of the river. Next, we took a quick trip over the border to Fargo, North Dakota.
I was a little further inland as I remember.
I didn't have to walk far, but I did have to
walk across the rocks.


The highlight side trip was to Winnipeg. 
We spent the night and did a little shopping.
I still have the ring I bought as a souvenir.










This trip was almost at the beginning of my '50-State Odyssey'. Who knew at that time that I would be able to say I have been in and out or to all 50 states. Glad we thought to go to Fargo.

No comments:

Post a Comment