About Us

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain! No. 34

ATC No. 34 of 50*


Oklahoma...my comfort State!  My mother was born in Keifer, moved to Okmulgee when she was five and then  later to Muskogee.  


Yes, that would be me
at six months
with my Grandmother.







We visited my Grandmother McLean and Mother's three sisters, Mavis, Betty and Mary Lou when they lived on 16th Street in Muskogee.  




What a grand time for a little girl of two or three.  My Aunt Mary Lou was 16 when I was born and I was the first grand child.  The house was a Craftsman two-story house.  

Unknown, Jim, Mavis, 
and Mary Lou


Betty's Glamour Shot


I loved going up and down the stairs.  I am sure I drove them nuts trying to make sure I didn't fall and bust my head.  




Mom and I would catch the Kansas City Southern Belle from Shreveport and get off at Poteau or Sallisaw.  Mavis and Horace (called Jim in the "real" world) would pick us up and take us to Muskogee. 

Conductor, Me and Freddie
with my Samsonite suitcase!
When I was in high school, I took the train by myself.  Betty, Freddy, Mac and Ellen picked me up in Sallisaw.  I always called my aunts and uncles by their first name only...no Aunt This or Uncle That...that was the way of my family.  


I fell in love with Oklahoma, the State and as a result, Oklahoma, the Broadway play, the movie and especially the music.  I would play my Oklahoma album for hours and knew every song.  


What wonderful memories!
Reading to my two cousins, Lillian and Patricia...I read everything they had until they went to sleep.  Nobody told me that all I had to do was read a couple books, tell them that was all and leave them to go to sleep!


Going to Mavis' apartment when Jim was in the Service.  He sent home some brass bells from Thailand.  I met Carolyn, a neighbor or maybe a daughter of a friend and my age.


Going to Mountain View with the same two cousins to visit their cousins on my their Dad's side of the family.   When they mowed a field, we found a baby rabbit.


Watching "As the World Turns" at Betty's and eating a meat loaf sandwich.  I have loved meat loaf sandwiches since then.  I was shy so I begged off going to church with them to meet some kids my age.


My Mom and Dad spending Christmas with Betty, Freddie, Mac, Ellen, and my triplet cousins, Lynne, Jane and Patty. My Dad brought our presents with him...Mom and I both got watches. I am not sure where mine is, but I have Mom's.

Oklahoma

Brand new state, Brand new state, gonna treat you great!
    Gonna give you barley, carrots and pertaters,
    Pasture fer the cattle, Spinach and Termayters!
    Flowers on the prairie where the June bugs zoom,
    Plen'y of air and plen'y of room,
    Plen'y of room to swing a rope!
    Plen'y of heart and plen'y of hope!

    Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain,
    And the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet
    When the wind comes right behind the rain.
    Oklahoma, ev'ry night my honey lamb and I
    Sit alone and talk and watch a hawk makin' lazy circles in the sky.

    We know we belong to the land
    And the land we belong to is grand!
    And when we say - Yeeow] A-yip-i-o-ee ay!
    We're only sayin' You're doin' fine, Oklahoma! Oklahoma - O.K.




*For "new to my blog" friends...on May 17, 2010, I visited Wisconsin.
 I can now say that I have been in, to or through all 50 United States.
 I am committed to make an Artist Trading Card "ATC" for each of
 the 50 States. 

No comments:

Post a Comment