About Us

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Thought for Thursday




Opportunity
John James Ingalls









Master of human destinies am I.
Fame, love, and fortune on my footsteps wait,
Cities and fields I walk; I penetrate
Deserts and seas remote, and, passing by
Hovel, and mart, and palace, soon or late
I knock unbidden, once at every gate!

If sleeping, wake--if feasting, rise before
I turn away. It is the hour of fate,
And they who follow me reach every state
Mortals desire, and conquer every foe
Save death; but those who doubt or hesitate,
condemned to failure, penury, and woe,
Seek me in vain and uselessly implore--
I answer not, and I return no more.

John James Ingalls
Born December 19, 1833
Died July 16, 1900





From One Hundred and One Famous Poems
 with a Prose Supplement
An Anthology Compiled by Roy J. Cook
Revised Edition, published in 1958
by The Reilly & Lee Co. Publishers, Chicago


No comments:

Post a Comment