About Us

Monday, October 7, 2013

THE BEEKEEPER'S APPRENTICE

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Thanks to a lady with whom I volunteer at our local library for recommending this 'Mary Russell' series of books! 

I love Sherlock Holmes. I am partial to the Basil Rathbone portrayal, but am really loving the 'Elementary' TV Series. 

In fact, I am wondering if this series may have been the inspiration for 'Elementary'. The main inspiration is that Laurie King has provided Sherlock with an apprentice who becomes his female counterpart and his partner in crime solving. The story takes place in the early 1900's; Watson is still around; and Sherlock is older that the TV Sherlock. I can see how a TV writer might segue into a younger Sherlock, who is training a female partner, Dr. Joan Watson.

I really want to see if Ms. King will subject us to the same level of background detail in the next installment. I understand this first book of the series is setting the scene. However, the details of chess and beekeeping did get tedious after a while. And, I am not sure she felt we needed to visit Palestine for a month of detail. I think maybe a couple of weeks' overview would have done it? Maybe-Maybe Not?

View all my reviews

1 comment: