About Us

Monday, May 13, 2013

Amelia Peabody Mysteries by Elizabeth Peters (#'s 1-6)

I started reading books by Elizabeth Peters because #1 she was a popular author #2 I am a Mystery reader #3 I hadn't read any of her books.

The first series I read was the Jacqueline Kirby Series, a librarian turned romance novelist. Not my cup of tea.  I failed to get her since of humor.

The second series I tried was Vicky Bliss, art historian. I found it very boring.


Then, I found Amelia Peabody.  Now I can't put her down. Ms. Peters' talent was wasted on Jake and Vicky.

Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1)Crocodile on the Sandbank (#1)
I said I would give Elizabeth Peters another try. The only choice for me was her Amelia Peabody Series. I am not much into Egyptology, but I didn't let that hinder me. This is the first book of the series so I am still in the 'not sure' mode. I did like this book and its characters. All of the details about Egypt didn't disrupt the story. It's just that the story takes place in Egypt. This Elizabeth Peters is a completely different author than the author that wrote the Jacqueline Kirby Series. I am thinking she has either matured as an author or she is just not suited to write 'humorous' stories. It's a toss-up. She published two of the Kirby books before this one and two after. I am thinking she was wise to stick with Amelia.


The Curse of the Pharaohs (Amelia Peabody, #2)The Curse of the Pharaohs (#2)
I am getting into this series. Before I know it I will be speaking Egyptology. I am really not interested in anything Egyptian. Luckily, it's not a requirement for reading this series. Egypt doesn't get in the way of the mystery to be solved. I really like the H/H and their cast of characters. Also...glad that Elizabeth Peters found her niche. Her other series do not even compare to this one. Really not a spoiler, but as a GR friend mentioned..you will not believe what Amelia and Emerson named their son:)


The Mummy Case (Amelia Peabody, #3)The Mummy Case (#3)
I am starting to like Egypt, Amelia, and Emerson. It is not a series that I want to plow through until the end. It is one that I will read 'in between'. I can see a story formula starting to develop. That is okay with me as long as the story is worthy. I am having a hard time getting past Ms. Peters' desire to give Walter, aka Ramses, a speech impediment. I can see where it makes a reader slow down and pay attention, but it is distracting.


Lion in the Valley (Amelia Peabody, #4)Lion in the Valley (#4)
This series is getting more interesting. Ramses has finally lost his speech impediment. He seems to be the instrument that Ms. Peters uses to educate us in everything Egyptian. I tend to rush through his dialog. We have been subjected to a continuing quest of a 'Master Criminal'. This criminal was almost caught this time, but escaped promising to leave Egypt and the Emerson's. Time will tell if that is true. We may have another Moriarty in the guise of the 'MC'. I am hoping we don't and move on to another villain.


The Deeds of the Disturber (Amelia Peabody, #5)The Deeds of the Disturber (#5)
I am getting more entrenched into this series. This story takes place in London; but the background is still everything Egyptian. Amelia is still a loose cannon in the investigation, but usually comes to the right solution. Emerson is her anchor and usually comes to the right solution independently of Amelia. In the meantime, Amelia still has time to match make and be a Mama to Ramses...and in this story to her brother's two children. Regardless, I am locked in now. This is #5 and she has written 19 of these stories.



The Last Camel Died at Noon (Amelia Peabody, #6)The Last Camel Died at Noon (#6)
I have to hand it to Ms. Peters...she is teaching me everything about Egypt whether I want to learn it or not. In the meantime, she scatters it in with her delightful characters and a mystery to solve. I don't know that I will retain the Egyptian history part or not, but I enjoy reading about it while I am trying to solve the mystery before Amelia, Emerson, or Ramses do. Highly recommend the series to you. Don't let a little or more than a little Egyptian discourage you.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment