About Us

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Maisie Dobbs (#s 4, 5, 6)


Messenger of Truth
No. 4 of the Series

This is the fourth "Maisie Dobbs" mystery.  Each "Maisie" book seems to get better than the last.  This one is no exception.  It is also the mid-point of the series (there have been eight books published to date), almost as if you were at the mid-point of an epic novel.  This seems to be the climax-the turning point of the story.  For Maisie it seems to be a new beginning in her life's journey.  I thought I might take a break from her stories, but now I must forge ahead to see how she fares on this journey.



An Incomplete Revenge
No. 5 in the Series  

So far I have liked every one of the 'Maisie Dobbs' mysteries...this one is no exception.  Ms. Winspear gives you enough information where you think you have solved the mystery.  In the end you find you almost got it right, but didn't figure out all of the details...and you could have.  The continuing story of the lives of the main characters keeps my interest as much as the current mystery to be solved.  I do find though that I can't read the next book in the series right away.  I have to give myself a break with something different...like a good 'cozy' mystery or my old stand-by, Regency Romance, or even a good biography.



Among the Mad 
No. 6 in the series
by Jacqueline Winspear
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Reading Maisie Dobbs is not a read to take lightly. Although, Ms. Winspear's stories follow a formula she does not let it distract the reader from her message. Maisie Dobbs is a psychologist and investigator in a period after WWI and before WWII. She and her assistant Billy plod through the case in question clue by clue. Through some tuition on the part of Maisie a conclusion is reached, but not always what the reader expects. Along the way you learn a lot of history as if you were there. There are two more books in the series, but I have to digest this one before I can move to the next book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment