About Us

Wednesday, September 2, 2020

A Painted House

 

A Painted HouseA Painted House by John Grisham
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was a book club selection for me. I had never read a John Grisham book and enjoyed reading it. You will get a true picture of what it was like to make your living by growing and picking cotton. Mr. Grisham did not hold back. It was not an easy life; it was a time when people made their good times with people-family, friends, and neighbors.

This story brought back good childhood memories for me. It takes place in 1952 and is told by a seven-year old boy, Luke. In 1952 I was 12/13 about about 6 years older than Luke. Even at that age I don't remember being as introspective as Luke.  

From 1942 to 1946 when I was closer to Luke's age, I lived on a dairy farm with my Mom and Dad in an unpainted house. These were some really good times for me as a child. Luckily I did not have to work picking cotton like Luke.

I do remember gathering eggs and my MOM killing a chicken to fry for dinner.  She and I picked blackberries to make a pie. I gathered eggs from our chickens and stopped when I put my hand in a box and met up with a black snake.

I had a sandbox, a horse named Red, and a cat with kittens. 
My friends came to
visit. We rode Red.
That's me with Hank
Giles and Dad on 
Red. Then, we had
a wienie roast
 


 


Me on Red.



I got my first dollhouse furniture one Christmas. (That was the Christmas I played detective and discovered that my Mom's handwriting matched Santa's.) I had the measles and they kept me in the dark so my eyes wouldn't be affected. I stayed with Berniece, a black woman who lived up the road, when my Mom had to go to town with my Dad.  I remember riding on a hay baler with my dad and trying to milk a cow.
My Dad and Me with my new storybook doll.

My Dad and I by unpainted house with my new storybook doll. It looks like we did get a painted screen door.

I started the first grade there and rode the school bus. Then, we moved to the city so I could go to school without having to ride the bus. I was little for my age and my mom thought I might fall off and get hurt. I am not sure, but I think she was like Luke's mom. I can see her smile as we packed up and moved. 

Enough of my memories. I think you will like Luke's story. It takes about 
three-fourths of the book to develop the scene and characters. Hang in there. All will be revealed in the last fourth of the story. Recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment