About Us

Friday, May 18, 2018

50 States in 50 Years Nos. 5 and 6*




I checked Washington and Oregon off my list in 1971. They were at the end of a trip that began in Southern California. I had no idea at time that I would even entertain the idea of visiting all 50 States in my life time.










We landed at LAX and ventured up the coast with stops at Moro Bay, Solvang, Hearst Castle, and San Francisco before crossing the border at Grants Pass, Oregon, where we spent the night before heading to Seattle, Washington to visit relatives. 
City Center Motel on N.E. Sixth St., Grants Pass

The scenery along the Oregon Highway
was spectacular. It is still in my mind
after 47 years. Some of the areas
reminded me of Arkansas.
Our stay in Seattle lasted about week. It rained every day except on Wednesday. Our relatives tried to convince us that was not the norm.  
We were not there when it was snowing;
it was raining. This picture came from a
tourist card packet.



Ate some wonderful fresh salmon; went to the 
University of Washington
to get a view of Mt. Rainier
Salmon fresh
from Fish Market
in the rain;


and took a side trip to Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, by ferry in the rain;








and best of all went to the top
of the Space Needle even
though I am really, 
really afraid of heights. 

The only sunny day we went
to some woods where our relatives had a cabin. At least we had one day of sun.









I remember the long trip along the coast of California and reading Atlas Shrugged  by Ayn Rand from beginning to end while we were on the road.  When I got out of the car I passed out and missed our first Salmon meal. The trip back to LAX was not memorable. We took the inland highway. My only memory was stopping to eat lunch in Yreka, California. 

Wonderful trip...excluding my passing out the first minute I set foot on solid ground after riding and reading in the back seat of the car.



*For "new to my blog" friends...on May 17, 2010, I visited Wisconsin.
I can now say that I have been in, to, or through all 50 United States.
I am committed to make an Artist Trading Card "ATC" for each of
the 50 States. 

No comments:

Post a Comment