About Us

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop CafeFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe
by Fannie Flagg    My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a wonderful story taking place from the 1929 to 1988 with two stories running concurrently. The story that takes place in this past is told by Ninny, in a rest home, to Evelyn, who befriends her. At the same time you will come back to the present and get their story. You will get wrapped up in the story of the inhabitants of Whistle Stop, Alabama, as well as Ninny's and Evelyn's. However, running silently between the lines are messages of the social and economic issues of the time. In fact, most are still relevant in the 21st Century. I gave it 5 stars-it was amazing, because it was. I couldn't give it 4 stars-I liked it a lot, because I didn't. It was a depressing story both on the surface and between the lines. I grew up in most of those times. Stories are amazing when I can personally put myself in the story. I internalized this story and characters too much. I felt hurt when they hurt and they hurt a lot. Every once in a while there was some happiness, but not often. Recommend.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment