About Us

Monday, November 14, 2016

A New Reading Adventure

Just when I thought I was entrenched in Regency Period Romances and Contemporary Mysteries, my library friend (LF) introduced me to Maureen Ash, 'The Alehouse Murders'.

Now I am venturing into old territory, but new scenery: Midieval with Gil Cunningham, Templar Bascot de Marins, Sir Baldwin Furnshill with Simon Pottock, Brother Cadfael, and Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon. 

I always like to read a series in order and each is the first book in each series along with my review that was posted on Goodreads.com. I recommend them all.

The Harper's Quine (Gilbert Cunningham, #1)The Harper's Quine, Gilbert Cunningham by Pat McIntosh                 My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Main character: Gil Cunningham

This is the first of this series. I had a hard time getting into the story with this author. There are a lot of Medieval words and expressions that are not explained. Another Medieval series that I read has a dictionary of those words and their definitions. I am hope that Ms. McIntosh adds that to the next book. It would be helpful. I do like Gil and his friends. I had more or less figured out the mystery by the end of the book. There were enough clues along the way that maybe you can solve it, too. 

 The Alehouse Murders (Templar Knight Mystery, #1)The Alehouse Murder, Templar Knight Mystery 
by Maureen Ash                                     My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Main character: Templar Bascot de Marins

I am into another medieval mystery series. My library friend keeps recommending and I keep reading her recommendations. This story takes place in the 1200's with the main character being a Knight Templar. I have read some about the Templar's, but this one is on a more personal level and I like learning at that level. It seems more real. It is interesting to me that the people of the time had the same concerns as we do. However, they didn't have the modern conveniences to aid them in their journey. I like Bascot and the characters that will support him in this series. This is the first book so I have just now been introduced to them. I am looking forward to knowing them better and seeing how Bascot deals with the decisions he must make about the Templar Order. 

The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1)The Last Templar, Templar Series by Michael Jecks
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Main characters: Simon Pottock and Sir Baldwin Furnshill

This was my second adventure into Medieval Mysteries. I never kept up with the series, but have decided to pick it up again since I have jumped into this genre with both feet! I might have to go back and read this one again to refresh my memory of the characters.


A Morbid Taste for Bones (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #1)A Morbid Taste for Bones, Chronicle of Brother Cadfael 
by Ellis Peters                                             My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Main character: Brother Cadfael

This takes me back in time. I love Brother Cadfael. He was my first experience with Medieval mysteries. There was a BBC series based on these books. I watched them all on DVD's from my Library. This is one series I would consider reading again. 



 The Unquiet Bones (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #1)The Unquiet Bones, The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, 
a Surgeon by Melvin R. Starr                       My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Main Character: Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon

Well, I found another series-again recommended by my library friend. I normally do not read this far back in history; however, the characters and the mystery of this story brought the time period to life for me. It reminds me of Ellis Peters 'Brother Cadfael' series. His time period was later, but still British history. Learned a lot while being entertained. 

No comments:

Post a Comment