About Us

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Benjamin Weaver Books by David Liss

I really do not know how I discovered 'David Liss'. I read 'The Twelfth Enchantment' and liked it so I checked out his other books.  I love to read series and noticed that he had written the Benjamin Weaver stories.  I started with the first book and thought 'I really don't have to read this' It seemed like a hard read and would certainly would not be a fast one.   Then, I thought of my 5th grade teacher, Mrs. Young.  We had to select a book from the library, read it, and then give a book report.  I selected J. M Barre's 'The Little Minister'.  After the first ten pages I decided it was too hard for me.  It was written in a Scottish dialect that I had to translate before I understood the words.  I proceeded to tell Mrs. Young that I wanted a different book that this one was too hard.  You can guess the answer I got. "No, you can't trade.  I want you to stick with it.'  Although disappointed, I did stick with it and glad I did.  I am also thankful for Mrs. Young.  Because I now know even if its hard, I can stick with it and be glad I did.

I am glad I stuck with David Liss and Benjamin Weaver. Although it was hard at the beginning, the middle, and even the end, I was rewarded with the story and its characters.

First Book in the Series:
A Conspiracy of Paper (Benjamin Weaver, #1)A Conspiracy of Paper by David Liss
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is not a fast read. Repeat: 'This is not a fast read'. I found it very intriguing. The history of the Exchange was essential to the story. I usually do not like to be educated while reading for entertainment, but the story really relates to the present day stock market. I will admit that some of it went over my head, but I hung in there. I had a hard time visualizing Benjamin during that time period. I usually read in the Regency Era so this was a stretch for me. The mystery was intricate as with any conspiracy. The 'historical notes' and the Q&A with the author were also interesting. I recommend if you are interested in the stock exchange and intrigue in London during the early 1700's.

Second Book in the Series:
A Spectacle of Corruption (Benjamin Weaver, #2)A Spectacle of Corruption
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Reading David Liss/Benjamin Weaver is like reading a history book and really enjoying it. As I read this one I was thinking it was almost like history repeating itself. What goes around comes around. I felt like I was there during the campaign and the election. In fact, he was asked that question in his interview in the back of the book. (No, don't read the interview first. It will be more meaningful after you have read the book.) Reading about conditions in the 1700's makes me more thankful that I live in the 21st Century. Of course, the mystery made it even more intriguing. You know from the beginning that Benjamin survives as prefaces it by saying it is his account of what happened. Highly recommend!

Third Book in the series:

The Devil's CompanyThe Devil's Company
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Mr. Liss is an amazing historical fiction writer. As best as I can tell this is the last of the Benjamin Weaver novels. His story takes place in the 1700's and covers not only the mystery/suspense/intrigue of Mr. Weaver's projects, but gives it with an intense look at the setting and the times. This story covers activities of The East India Company and how it fit into the culture of the country/kingdom. I love that the dialog is written where I can understand, but yet it is more true to the times. If you want to be entertained and learn something at the same time, I highly recommend the 'Weaver' books!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment