About Us

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Amelia Peabody Nos. 11, 12, and 13

The Falcon at the Portal( Amelia Peabody, #11)The Falcon at the Portal by Elizabeth Peters
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Elizabeth Peters has outdone herself. This one is a cliff hanger. This is the first time that I must have the next installment to see what happens! Yes, Ms. Peters spent a lot of words that turned into pages instructing us on everything Egypt and English. There were several places that were skipable. In other words, it didn't add anything to the story so I didn't miss anything important by not reading them. What I am really liking about this series is the fact that the characters are moving along with time. Amelia and her family are not stuck in one brief time period. They are all aging/maturing and the reader is getting the benefit of the old characters maturing into new characters with new challenges and adventures. The older generation of heroes is passing the torch to a new generation of heroes! Recommend Amelia Peabody and her family to you!



He Shall Thunder in the Sky (Amelia Peabody, #12)He Shall Thunder in the Sky by Elizabeth Peters
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Ms. Peters has reached the pinnacle with this installment of the Amelia Peabody journals. I love the continuing characters and the introduction of new ones. I am also intrigued by the resolution of old mysteries that keep popping up to get in the way of their excavations. It has always puzzled me that Amelia is so intuitive about solving mysteries, but doesn't intuit what is going on in her own family. Not to be a spoiler, because you know he will appear...even Sethos remarks upon it.

I did have to wade through a lot of reiteration of past events so that the new reader will be up to date. I always recommend a new reader to start at the first book. Even though Ms. Peters does her best, you will miss a lot of the innuendo and character development.

Lord of the Silent (Amelia Peabody, #13)Lord of the Silent by Elizabeth Peters
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Elizabeth Peters Amelia Peabody stories get better with each new book. There are parts where she seems compelled to give us a lesson in Egyptology.  Since I am reading this for the story and the characters, my eyes usually glaze over and I skip the details.

As I have said before-she keeps the story moving along with time. Time changes everything and her characters change along with it. There is always a new thread to follow and this one is no exception. No spoiler here. I will let you experience it yourself. This is one of my favorites.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment