About Us

Monday, May 7, 2012

Royal Pains: A Rogues' Gallery of Brats, Brutes, and Bad Seeds 
by Leslie Carroll
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Just when you think you have heard/read/know it all, up jumps some new information. That was the case for me when I read this book. I had never really studied history in school so that's my excuse.


Each chapter of the book is devoted to a different 'Royal Pain'. It is in chronological order, but really does not have to be read in that order. It was just good for me to be able to relate it to a familiar time period. Also, some of the 'Pains' were quiet violent. If you are prone to nightmares, read them only in the daytime. They are not for bedtime reading. I think you can figure out which ones by their nicknames given in parentheses, i.e. Vlad the Impaler, Ivan the Terrible, The Blood Countess.


The only thing that I would have liked to have had included in the book were some pictures with each story. I had to go the Web every time I wanted to see the face that went with the person.


Otherwise, it is a very informative book. I am glad that I read it...even if it took me a while to finish it.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment