About Us

Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Help

(This is not a spoiler!!!!  For those of you that have read the book you know what happens anyway.)  


Today I went to the movie..."The Help".  It was the release day for the movie based on the book by Kathryn Stockett.  My friend, Kathy, emailed that she would meet us on the back row of the theater around 12:30pm.  She is good to keep us up to date on all current movies.  We meet her on the back row.




Enough conversation...back to the movie...


I have been pondering how to review "The Help".  I have not read the book.  I know that it is a phenomenal success.  It has had a waiting list at our library since it was published.  I have one friend who was lukewarm after reading it and another who did not like it at all.  Kathy liked the movie better than the book...now that is a twist!


All this being said I had a hard time relating to this microcosm of society.  I had to keep in mind this is a movie so all stereotypical personalities were concentrated in a 1 1/2 hour movie.  It took me a few minutes to get into its rhythm.  


The acting was superb and it was fun seeing some old favorites appear in supporting roles: Cissy Spacek, Cecily Tyson, Mary Steenburgen.  
I feared that it would be a three-hankie movie, but I didn't even use the "just-in-case" Kleenex Kathy gave me. I was more involved in trying to figure out how I fit into the story since I lived in this time period.  


This movie gave me pause to think.  I was born in 1939 so I grew up in this era. Should I have known these people portrayed in the movie?  I do not remember knowing any white people like those in the movie. We never had any "help".  


My Mom and Dad had a cafe and we had "help" in the kitchen. Mattie was our meat and potatoes cook and Irene was the best pie baker in the world.  My Dad filled in where he was needed. I am sure Mattie and Irene had stories.  However, I was just a kid and was oblivious to everything except kid stuff.  


Mattie, my friend
Circa 1950
All I know is they were my friends at the cafe.  I filled in for my Mom at the register so they were my fellow workers.  Also, I ate every meal there and they cooked for me.  My mouth waters just thinking about Mattie's Chicken Fried Steak and Irene's cherry pie..my favorites!


Everyone should see this movie.  It will give you pause to think about where we were, where we are now and how we got there and where we will be in the future.  BTW you get a few laughs along the way, too!



No comments:

Post a Comment