About Us

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Vintage Notions, a peek at the past!

Vintage Notions: 
An Inspirational Guide
to Needlework, Cooking,
Sewing, Fashion and Fun
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I just found this wonderful book at the library. I have read through it and determined it is a must have for my library. It is an excellent reference book on everything vintage from the 1920's. It has patterns, crafts and recipes from that time period. It is arranged by seasons and the chapters are months in chronological order. 


Connect to Amy's Blog
The author of the book Amy Barickman is renowned in her field. 


Mary Brooks Picken




This book is dedicated to Mary Brooks Picken who died in 1981 at the age of 95. Ms. Picken was a trailblazer and renowned for her support of the education of women. Ms. Barickman conceived the book "to rescue Mary Brooks Picken from obscurity".


If nothing else the illustrations in this book are beautiful. I loved looking at the vintage pictures. One particular article reprinted in this book caught my eye: "Walking Like a Princess" by Marilyn Madison, Inspiration, October 1925  found on page 182. To quote, "Every woman can take on a new beauty, a new charm, if she will practice lightness on her feet, will wear her clothes rightly and will carry her accessories as well as her arms and head in a graceful and smart manner. As for me, I am practicing, and one of these days I am going to hear someone say, to my back, of course, 'Isn't she charming? She has the carriage of royalty, the poise of a princess.'" Read the book to see how you can accomplish this feat!


Right now I am headed to Amazon to order my personal copy!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment