About Us

Monday, June 10, 2019

Living in Thin Places

Thin Places is a series of sermons given during Epiphany 2019 by Rev. Siegfried S. Johnson, Christ of the Hills United Methodist Church, Hot Springs Village, Arkansas, USA

To quote Rev. Johnson: "The theme is drawn from the writings of early Christianity in Ireland, Thin Places, a term used by Celtic Christians from about the 5th century, having in that beautiful land developed a strong sense of sacred space, certain trees, caves, streams, and mountains regarded as sanctuaries of nature. 

In a 'Thin Place' the veil between this world and the divine world, heaven and earth, seemed somehow sheer, porous allowing God's glory to seep through to our awareness." 

This series got me to think about my 'thin places'. These come to mind:



Muir Woods, California
When I entered the woods, I felt a sense of peace. I needed to be still and quiet. All was quiet, although there were many other people there. 





This theme was covered in The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell.
On Page 92: "I think it's Cicero who says that when you go into a great tall grove, the presence of a deity becomes known to you."

Bohemian Grove, California

I attended a wedding in the Bohemian Grove. All of the guests were driven into the woods by bus from Santa Rosa. The minute I stepped off the bus I heard organ music echoing through the trees. I went very still and listened as did the bus load of guests. There is a full pipe organ in 'The Grove'. The organist played until the wedding began. 


Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia
When I walked the streets of Colonial Williamsburg, I could feel the presence of the great men that I walked those streets.



I have seen my Guardian Angels.
One night as I was going to sleep, sometime between rest and deep sleep, I slightly opened my eyes and observed two greenish ethereal beings. It seemed that one 'angel' was relieving the other 'angel'. It was like they were changing shifts in order to watch over me.

My Aunt Mary Lou passed a few years ago. As I was dreaming, the veil opened and she peeked through. She was smiling and conveyed to me that she was fine. Then, she danced away, twirling on her toes.

I made a deal with my mother. After she passed, if it was possible, she was to leave me a sign that she was well on the other side. It was a while before I got my sign. Sometime the next summer, I took her Christmas Cactus outside. It wasn't long before it was in full bloom. I believe she is fine and at some time I will see her again. 

St. Louis Cathedral, New Orleans

Whenever I go into a Cathedral, I feel close to God. Something happens there that I don't feel in other churches. When I was in the 5th Grade, I visited the St. Louis Cathedral in New Orleans. Even then, I could feel something special.




These are the scriptures Rev. Sieg used for this series:
#1 January 20, 2019 Living in Thin Places Psalms 42 :1-2 
#2 January 27, 2019 Made  for Another World John 3:7-8
#3 February 3, 2019 The Well Is Deep John 4:10-11
#4 February 10, 2019 Step into the Stirring John 5:5-7
#5 February 17, 2019 How Now, Chop Logic! John 6:41-42
#6 February 24, 2019 Concealed in the Crease John 7:3-5
 If you would like to read these sermons, go to link at the beginning of this post. Click on 'Worship'  and then, Rev. Sieg's Sermons 



No comments:

Post a Comment